Chef Cathy
Feb 13, 2017

Ready for Day 2?

3 comments

Edited: Mar 1, 2017

A simple addition of flour and water again today. Plus a bit about wild yeast vs commercial yeast.

If your starter seems a bit thin -add a little flour for a day and see if it evens out. Go at your own pace - actually - the pace of your sourdough - if it doesnt seem active within the first few days - try a warmer place - and just wait a bit - even a thin bowl of flour and water will start to bubble if you leave it on the counter for a few days.

meg48us
Feb 14, 2017

So I haven't received day 2 email yet ... how much to add today ? And the news on the yeast?

Chef Cathy
Feb 14, 2017

Everyone should have received it - if not let us know. General rule is to guestamate what you have in your starter bowl and add that much flour - and about that much water and stir. If it is in a warm place - you should see bubbles.

Chef Cathy
Feb 16, 2017

Wild yeast is everywhere, and you can "harness" it out of thin air. Sometimes people use grapes - you know the white "mist" you see on grapes sometimes - that's typically the yeast. Commercial yeast is really only a small portion of the complex and synergistic reactions you get with wild yeast. Real whey is a great inoculate for many cultured processes - (the watery substance that you get from real milk separating into curds and whey). If you don't have real whey, then use the liquid from atop your yogurt ( as long as it contains live cultures).

• worthwaiting4
    Sep 28, 2017

Hi Cathy I am on day 6 and it looks bubby - been feeding it daily. Not as much rise and fall at this time. Is that a problem? It does smell sour. Had the hooch rise up as well. Once we are done with it how do we care for it to keep it active? Thanks! Glenda xo
  • chapellake28
    May 12, 2017

Day 2--Have some bubbling action going on. Fed it. Looked at it and thought, "Seriously?? What name would anyone give sourdough?" Quite unexpectedly the name "Gypsy" popped into my head. It's a GIRL!! Has anyone else named their sourdough? I'd love to hear what you all came up with.
  • snowyegret379
    May 12, 2017

I am loving this series. Thank you. I noticed you put your culture in a metal pan today. Do we need to worry about leaching metal into the sourdough? Would a half gallon Mason jar work? Can you freeze sourdough? Can you create crackers and pizza dough with it? With gratitude, Audrey

© 2017 Culinary Naturopathy - Cathy Hohmeyer