Chef Cathy
Feb 14, 2017

Day 3 If you miss a day

4 comments

Edited: Feb 20, 2017

If you miss a day or so - no worries, go at your own pace.

Note; if you see liquid on the top (its called houch), that means its fast acting - you can either slow it down or add flour a little more often. To really feed and build, you add the same amount of flour and water to the starter. But you can add a little flour now and then if you just want to give it a snack.

yvonanld
Feb 15, 2017

I missed a day b/c the day 2 email went to spam and i forgot about it... though i had my mug w. sourdough sitting on the stove. The top was real hard and dried out, but it looked like i had some bubbles forming. I added more flour and also a little extra water because it had dried out. So i guess i'm a day benind now.

Chef Cathy
Feb 19, 2017

no worries being behind - go at your own pace.... usually the sourdough will wait for you...

yvonanld
Feb 21, 2017

Thanks Chef Cathy. You mention slowing it down - what do you do to slow it down? (I got another day behind).

Chef Cathy
Mar 1, 2017

to slow things down put it in a cooler place - to get it more active , get it warmer.

This is the "challenge" of culturing - just getting to "know" it.

• worthwaiting4
    Sep 28, 2017

Hi Cathy I am on day 6 and it looks bubby - been feeding it daily. Not as much rise and fall at this time. Is that a problem? It does smell sour. Had the hooch rise up as well. Once we are done with it how do we care for it to keep it active? Thanks! Glenda xo
  • chapellake28
    May 12, 2017

Day 2--Have some bubbling action going on. Fed it. Looked at it and thought, "Seriously?? What name would anyone give sourdough?" Quite unexpectedly the name "Gypsy" popped into my head. It's a GIRL!! Has anyone else named their sourdough? I'd love to hear what you all came up with.
  • snowyegret379
    May 12, 2017

I am loving this series. Thank you. I noticed you put your culture in a metal pan today. Do we need to worry about leaching metal into the sourdough? Would a half gallon Mason jar work? Can you freeze sourdough? Can you create crackers and pizza dough with it? With gratitude, Audrey

© 2017 Culinary Naturopathy - Cathy Hohmeyer