snowyegret379
May 4, 2017

Container for Sourdough Culture

2 comments

I am loving this series. Thank you. I noticed you put your culture in a metal pan today. Do we need to worry about leaching metal into the sourdough? Would a half gallon Mason jar work? Can you freeze sourdough? Can you create crackers and pizza dough with it? With gratitude, Audrey

Chef Cathy
May 12, 2017

My pans are commercial stainless steel - yes - use crockery or other, not a metal pan that will react - great point thank you

Chef Cathy
May 12, 2017

Yes - absolutely - crackers, pizza crust - ANYthing you would use flour for

• worthwaiting4
    Sep 28, 2017

Hi Cathy I am on day 6 and it looks bubby - been feeding it daily. Not as much rise and fall at this time. Is that a problem? It does smell sour. Had the hooch rise up as well. Once we are done with it how do we care for it to keep it active? Thanks! Glenda xo
  • chapellake28
    May 12, 2017

Day 2--Have some bubbling action going on. Fed it. Looked at it and thought, "Seriously?? What name would anyone give sourdough?" Quite unexpectedly the name "Gypsy" popped into my head. It's a GIRL!! Has anyone else named their sourdough? I'd love to hear what you all came up with.
  • azristrydom
    Apr 30, 2017

Good day Cathy, I used rye flour to start my sourdough challenge and found that for a 1/4 cup rye I had to use 1/2 cup water to get sort of a runnyish consistency, yesterday was my day 1, this morning as I was wisking it I actually did notice a few bubbles, to my surprise !!!. I even warmed up the towel I wrapped around it last night as my kitchen is cold now as winter is starting here in South Africa. So I added to it today 1/2 cup rye flour and enough water to make it again into a runny consistancy. My question: with rye flour one does have to use more water than with wheat? Thanking you kindly Azri

© 2017 Culinary Naturopathy - Cathy Hohmeyer